Monday, February 24, 2020

House Mold Facts

July 15, 2014 by  
Filed under Mold

1. How do I know if I have a mold problem?

You definitely have a mold problem in your house if you smell a moldy odor and if you see tiny, black dots or small white clusters in your basement, in the walls of a room or in the bathroom. However, some mold is invisible to our senses and cannot be detected.

Mold can cause various allergy symptoms, including sneezing, fatigue, itchy nose, runny nose, congestion, sore throat, headache, sniffling, watery eyes and itch eyes. Children can also develop regular respiratory infections.

2. How to treat mold allergy?

In case of allergic symptoms, the best way to treat mold allergy it is to avoid contact. Whenever you work outdoors it is best to put on an allergy relief mask. Indoor, you should properly control the mold growth. Consult your allergist for immunotherapy and pharmaceutical treatment options.

3. How to control the mold growth in my home?

It is impossible to eliminate every spore, but with an adequate environmental control, you can forget about your allergy symptoms.

Fix all problems that might cause water build-up in your house and get rid of all water damaged materials (for instance carpet, wall paper or wood). Seal the exterior surface of your house and never pile leaves or wood in the close vicinity of the house, as they accumulate moisture. Eliminating indoor plants will reduce the amount of spores in the air.

It is also important for the house to have proper ventilation. The interior of HVAC systems is the perfect place for hidden mold, so it is best to use an allergy relief vent filter.

Use a hygrometer to check the humidity within your house and maintain its level between 40% and 50%. Humidity can be easily controlled and eliminate excess moisture with the use of a dehumidifier.

4. How to clean up toxic mold?

Actually, the cleaning process can significantly increase the number of spores in the air leading to serious illness. It can also easily extend mold growth if you fail to properly do it. The high number of airborne spores requires the wear of such protective clothing as goggles, gloves and a respirator. For toxic mold, call a professional mold remediation specialist.

5. What is a mold count?

It refers to the number of spores in a determined volume of air at a given place and time over a 24-hour period. When the count is high, try to stay indoor, while inside the house control it with a special cleaner.

Comments are closed.